Grease traps are an essential component of commercial kitchens and larger properties, capturing fats, food-grade oils, and water before it enters the sewage system. Regular grease trap servicing and cleaning is regulated by local water authorities, depending on location.
We work with many restaurants and cafés across Australia, and our experience has shown that waiting until something goes wrong with your grease traps can cost businesses even more time and money than if they were regularly maintained in the first place.
Regular grease trap inspection, servicing and cleaning can prevent a host of possible disasters, including:
Blocked pipes and backflow
This is the most common consequence of irregular grease trap servicing and maintenance. Overfull and blocked grease traps can lead to pipe backups and backflows that can spill directly into your restaurant or the surrounding areas. In some cases, the restaurant would not only need to pay for the cost to clear the grease trap but may also face additional fines.
This congealed mass is made of discarded cooking oil, grease, wet wipes and other non-biodegradable matter. It usually occurs in sewage systems where it can cause massive blockages, costing cities and councils up to millions of dollars to clear. The most famous fatberg found was in England, where a 250 metre-long fatberg was formed in the sewers and took three weeks to remove. Closer to home, Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU) reported that 4,000 blockages related to fatbergs have to be cleared every year across Brisbane, costing councils $1.5 million.
If your grease trap is located too close to your stove or other heated elements, irregular grease trap cleaning and servicing can cause a build-up of grease that’s highly combustible. This is one of the most common sources of kitchen fires in restaurants.
Interruption of vital services
A blocked grease trap was identified as the cause of a severe odour problem that prompted the evacuation of Royal Hobart’s Emergency department. A “code yellow” was called after the odour was reported, resulting in patients and staff being moved to other parts of the hospital and new patients redirected elsewhere.